September 10, 2008

Camping in the Rain

We went on our annual family camping trip to the White Mountains over Labor Day. It actually only ended up being a 1/2 of the family camping trip. It was just our family, my sister Tammie & her family, my sister Crystal & family and my mom. Last year we had 39 people go - this year only 17. It was still fun but not as much fun.


The weather was brutal this year. We always get rain every year but never as much as we had this year. It started raining late Saturday afternoon and it didn't stop until Sunday afternoon. And we got WET!! We had WET tents & bedding, all the kids had WET shoes & clothes, most of our chairs were WET. It was miserable. My mom, Crystal and her kids ended up going home a day early because they were out of dry clothes and their bedding was too wet. The rest of us stuck it out but we did cheat a little. My sister Kelly lives in Eager which was just about 40 minutes from our campsite. Tammie & her two kids, and Me, Jaxson, Haley & Amber all drove into town the last two nights and stayed at her house. The guys stayed at camp and roughed it in Tammie & Jeff's trailer (it even got a little wet inside). Once it quit raining on Sunday it stayed pretty dry after that but it was COLD. Thankfully the kids were able to stay warm enough and they had a blast. As for me, I just considered the whole trip a grand adventure in the great outdoors. And I was never so happy to crawl into my DRY, WARM bed.

At one point we were tired of the mud so we stripped down Jaxson & Kaleb, put them in the trailer and started a movie for them. What would we do without Dora the Explorer!



We also had two birthdays while we were there. Jaxson turned 4 on Saturday and my mom turned ?? on Sunday. This is a picture of both of them but I think the birthday girl was a little camera shy.




Here's Kaleb. I don't know what is on his face but it looked like this the whole time.



The boys built this awesome fort. I wish I had better pictures of it. They made this little cave out of tree branches. It even had a door.




Here's the whole gang. I took this not too long after it stopped raining. I think the older kids had had enough by this point.


5 comments:

Jill said...

I'm just stopped laughing because when you said you were new, I thought you were right with that other blog! I love it! you found out how to do the scrapbook stuff. love it! now all you have to do is teach me :) You did awesome and I can't wait to see more!

Wendy Hansen said...

How fun. It looks like quite a mess, which would have made it even more fun for the kids. I bet that was a fun one to clean up & unpack. I'm so glad that you have a blog now too.

Jill said...

Tammie says you are blog-stalking me! You cant read what we're doing and never leave a comment! I'm linked to you now...

Positively Creative! said...

Hey, Welcome to this thing called blogging...heehee, you'll find it really is not that big of a deal once you get it down. I only have a few that I really stalk, because I would be on here for forever!You better leave a comment on my blog now!!!love ya

Angie P. said...

Way cool!! I can't wait to get settled and start my web page again...(I think my last post was, hmmmmm, can't remember. I love the pics of Larry and Jaxon and the family picture is way too cute! Keep in touch-Angie