May 31, 2011

Grapefruit Tree

Who knew that if you didn't pick the fruit off your tree it would get too heavy and snap giant limbs off? Well I didn't! And that's exactly what happened. Friday afternoon we noticed a large branch had broken off the grapefruit tree. I immediately thought the boys had been swinging on it and that's why it broke. After some angry words and serious chastising I made them cut it up and squish it into two green barrels. Then Monday morning I woke up to the rest of the limb lying on the ground. After talking to my neighbor who has several fruit trees I found out that you have to pick the fruit off each season. I would think that my landlord would fill us in on this little bit of information. Or maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just fruit tree retarded! So I spent an hour picking all the grapefruits I could reach off the tree. I also didn't know that grapefruit trees have very tiny thorns, almost like splinters that brake off in your skin and very scratchy branches. My hands and arms are all scratched up!


I lost about half of the tree. It makes me sad because if I would of known, just an hour or so of work would of saved it. Poor tree!


At least it was the backside that fell off. When you look out through the window you can't even tell its half missing.

We filled the garbage can about 2/3 full of grapefruits. Thank goodness it was trash day otherwise those grapefruits would of rotted real fast in this heat.



Nate wanted to save this one because it had a mohawk!

No comments: