April 18, 2011

Sing It

Jakes school put on a spring "Sing It" concert. Each class picked 2-3 songs to sing and has been working real hard since the beginning of the year learning them. They not only had to learn the words, they had to learn how to sing with emotion. Part of their homework was to watch an episode of American Idol so they could see how to sing and move and show emotion all at once. I guess too many of them (the boys especially) would just stand their like a pole barely moving their mouths. It turned out to be the best elementary school concert I've ever been too. All the kids did a great job and they all seemed to really enjoy being up there on the stage. Jakes class sang Count on Me by Bruno Mars, Fireflies by Owl City and Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars. They dedicated Just the Way You Are to Christina Taylor Green, the 9 year old girl killed in the Tucson shooting last January. This was her favorite song. It was very emotional and several people, me included, were in tears by the end of it. I have a video of it but it's to big to upload, dangit!

1 comment:

Wendy Hansen said...

That sounds so cool Heather, I'm impressed, I would have been crying right with you, I love that song.